Sunday, April 22, 2012

Review: Brothers in Arms by Kendall McKenna *Updated*

*** Notes: this has been updated to reflect the NEW cover by Jared Rackler (who is awesome). It also reflects all new purchase links. 


Updated cover by Jared Rackler:


Old Cover:






Title: Brothers in Arms
Author: Kendall McKenna
Publisher: Silver Publishing 2012 (then Re-released by MLR Press 2013) 

Rating: 
5/5 Hearts. MUST READ!!






Blurb:

Jonah Carver is a Marine and combat veteran. He and his former Captain, Kellan Reynolds, once shared a scorching night, but then lost touch; something Jonah has long regretted. 

When an investigation into government corruption, and the murder of U.S. troops, ends in the killing of a V.I.P. on Jonah's watch, the FBI arrives. With them is Kellan Reynolds. Together once more, Jonah begins to believe in second chances and sparks fly

Nothing is that easy, though, as the suspects will stop at nothing to bring the investigation to an end. Jonah must keep everyone in his charge alive while helping the FBI and Kellan find the proof they need.

When Kellan is kidnapped, Jonah has to find and rescue him. If he doesn't, not only will the investigation unravel, but he'll lose Kellan for a second time--for good.


Review:

Nothing gets me like a well-written military story. My family has served in this country's military since the Revolutionary War, so the military has been a very large part of my existence. We are an all branch family with members serving proudly in all of them except for the coast guard. Poorly researched military stories are a pet peeve of mine, and when I pick up an military book, as much as I want to love it, I always seem to poke holes in it.

That being said. I loved this book. As far as I could tell, the Marine's and particularly RECON is not my area of expertise, this book was extremely well researched. I loved the strong characters. How both of the main characters are strong, and capable, each comfortable in their own strengths. I loved the interaction between all the marines, and their FBI counterparts. Its a great Marine story, and a great love story.

Jonah is a bit of a legend. He's the type of marine that young ones look up to and aspire to be. The kind that they tell stories about. Kellan was formerly Jonah's commander, and now working outside the military, as a consultant. They have a bit of the star-crossed lovers feel to them.. the timing is just never quite right. When circumstances bring them together is seems as though they might finally get that second chance, until Kellan is kidnapped. Jonah must race against the odds get Kellan back and keep the FBI's investigation on track. There is something inherently sexy about Marines, add in RECON to that and whew! Its enough to make anyone hot. Since this is set pre-repeal of DADT, their love is kept in the dark.

My only complaint was more more more! The story captured my interest and the characters captured my heart!

What a great breakout novel by Kendall McKenna. I really look forward to seeing her future work. I can't say that I would mind hearing more from these Marine's either.

So if you love a good military story, with great action in and out of bed. Head over to Amazon, here, and pick up this book. Re-released on Amazon Here.
Kobo
ARE
Barnes and Noble

You can also find it on Silver Publishing's website here.

You can also purchase it direct from MLR Press here



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful of others with your comments. Hate comments will not be tolerated.