Monday, September 10, 2012

Review: Three of Swords by Theo Fenraven









TITLE: Three of Swords
AUTHOR: Theo Fenraven
PUBLISHER: Voodoo Lily Press
RATED: 4.5/5 Hearts

Blurb: 

An old houseboat, a hot young guy, a couple of murders, and more mysterious keys than you can shake a stick at: this is what awaits Gray Vecello after his grandfather, Graham, is killed picking up high blood pressure pills.

A letter Graham left behind sends Gray and his unexpected ally, Cooper Key, on a journey downriver in an attempt to unravel the mystery surrounding an unknown treasure. On the way, they encounter both friends and enemies, one of whom will target Gray and Cooper for death. One thing working in Gray’s favor: he has the sight, just as Graham had, but will it be enough to save them both?


First book of the Precog in Peril series. 



REVIEW:

I really enjoyed this book, which kind of surprised me because I tend to be extremely critical of paranormal/magic type books. The reason for this is that I cut my teeth on Anne Rice, Stephen King, Stan Lee, Chris Claremont, George Lucas, Warren Ellis among many many others. Suffice to say I'm picky. Theo Fenraven is a new author to me, and this is the first time I've read any of his work. When he asked me to review, I didn't bother reading the blurb or the excerpt that he sent me. I prefer to jump right in and form my own opinion without any outside influence. To be honest I don't like the blurb, and it is likely that had I read it, it would have lowered my expectations. In other words.. the blurb is NOT the book. 

I love how Gray gets over misconceptions about his grandfather as the story progresses. I love that the character took a chance and stepped out of the box, although I do believe that perhaps the characters believed a little to easily, but then there was a lot flying at them. My favorite was the poise of the character, Cooper. For his young age, he seemed more world wise than Gray. I also liked the fact that the author brought a little bit of awareness to adult illiteracy. 

I have no major complaints about this book. Minor things that are personal preference, but really in no way reflects upon the author. I'm not a huge fan of first person, but it was really well written. This was a unique story, in that I've never read a similar scenario. I really liked that. I also really like the unique setting of the houseboat. It was a great little mystery. :

All in all, I liked the little world that Theo Fenraven created, and I look forward to the second book Knight of Wands which will be coming this holiday season. 

You can purchase Three of Swords at:

or

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful of others with your comments. Hate comments will not be tolerated.