Thursday, October 23, 2014

Author Interview: MA Church talks about Be My Human with Jodi




We are very happy to welcome M.A. Church to the Smoocher’s Voice blog today. Her  new novel, Be My Human, written with and Julie Lynn Hayes, is the second in the Moonlit Skies series is available on Dreamspinner Press.

Learn more about M.A. on her blog.

Learn more about Julie on her website.


Jodi:          Thank you, Michelle, for taking the time to answer some questions for our readers. Please tell us a little about yourself.

Michelle:  Well, I’ve been married for over twenty years, and we have two grown children. Up until four years ago, I taught. My youngest is in school also to be a teacher, but she wants to be a music teacher. I still drank too much Coke, but I’m working on that, lol. I did stop smoking about a year ago, thanks to a health scare. My writing buddy is a gray male cat called Kitty-Kitty. *laugh* He adopted us Halloween night three years ago.


Jodi:          What inspires you to write?

Michelle:  A little over five years ago, I was the primary caregiver for my mom, who was terminal. She lived in an apartment, but some nights were so bad, I stayed with her. Those nights I surfed the web. As luck would have it, I found a site with free stories. It had a gay male section, so I clicked on it… and there you go. The birth of a m/m writer, lol.


Jodi:          Why did you choose to write in the m/m romance genre?

Michelle:  I have no straightforward answer for that, lol. All I *can* say is I lost interest in m/f and haven’t gone back to it.


Jodi:          You write contemporary fiction and science fiction. Do you have a preference?

Michelle:  Oh, hands down, it’s scifi. I love to read it, watch it, write it. I grew up on Star Trek. I’ve seen all the Star Gate shows. One of my favorite shows is Face Off on the SyFy Channel. I’ve watched that since the day it aired. *laugh* I got Julie hooked on it this season.


Jodi:          Is it a challenge to write science fiction books? Is it a challenge mingling the realism with the sci-fi ideals?

Michelle: The challenge is writing scifi that makes sense, lol. To me, there needs to be a grain of truth in there. It can be a small grain, lol. Your facts have to match up, no matter how alien the world you create happens to be.


Jodi:          What was the biggest challenge for you as a writer to write science fiction?

Michelle:   Kind of what I said before, lol. Making sure what I created made sense. I can write really outlandish material, but it has to work and make sense.


Jodi:          How is writing with a co-author different than writing a book independently? Do you have a preference?

Michelle: It’s very different. For one thing, there are two of you. So, lol, the two of you need to agree on things. There has to be open channels of communications between authors, or trouble can get started.


Jodi:          What inspired you to write Be My Alien?

Michelle: It started out as a short for an anthology. Julie and I saw quickly that there was more to the story than what the word limit was going to allow us. So, we pulled out and expanded it. After we were done, we subbed it to DSP.


Jodi:          What were some of the challenges you faced when writing about the concept of aliens visiting Earth, specifically New York City, on vacation?

Michelle: Researching NYC, especially since neither of us had been there. Figuring out times things were open to the public, if there special entertainment happening for holidays, how busy areas were, how to get around, lol… and so on. Then add in how Taz and his date acted once they arrived.


Jodi:          Taz is such an endearing character. Tell us a little about his background.

Michelle: That was Julie’s brainchild, lol.



Jodi:          Why is Vorlod so interested in getting Taz back home when he clearly doesn’t like him very much?

Michelle: Ah well, in book 2 you find out why, lol. It’s all about family connections!


Jodi:          Reed is a lonely work-a-holic, yet he has a bit of a kinky streak. Tell us a little about his background and what makes him tick.

Michelle: Reed has a teaching degree, but he never actually taught. Instead, he ended up in NYC opening a business. The reason why he moved to NY is in book 2. It’s actually what the book is about.


Jodi:          Tell is a bit about Be My Human. Will this pick up where the other left off?

Michelle: It sure does. The book focuses more on Reed this time, and his family. And a past that comes back to haunt him in the most unlikely fashion. Old secrets rise up and Reed has to face them.


Jodi:          What are some of the challenges Reed and Taz will encounter?

Michelle: They deal with a past that Reed ran from, but never dealt with. They also deal with Reed’s homophobic older brother.


Jodi:          What are your next projects?

Michelle: I’m waiting for edits on Trouble Comes in Threes that’s under contract with DsP, and about ready to sub to DsP book 2 in The Leap Of Faith series called To Touch the Sky. Both of those are shifter novels. I have another scifi novel I’m kicking around that has no title as of yet, lol.



Be My Human

Reed and Taz are still adjusting to their new lives together when a medical emergency sends them flying down to Florida on short notice. Not quite the way Reed pictured introducing Taz to his family. Reed’s sister, Rene, welcomes the outgoing Taz with open arms, and the kittenish alien charms Reed’s parents.

But someone isn’t quite so enamored of Reed’s boyfriend—his homophobic older brother Jacob seems determined to be as unpleasant as possible, and he’s making their visit very uncomfortable. The sudden appearance of Reed’s controlling ex releases a flood of insecurity and bad memories.

Reed begins to doubt himself, and his ability to love and be loved in return. When strange items begin appearing as if out of nowhere, he wonders if he’s being stalked, or is he just paranoid? What can Taz do to prove to Reed that he’s more than enough man for this alien?


Buy Links


Be My Alien
A man too busy for love…

Reed owns an upscale men’s boutique with a naughty back room. While making a late delivery to a client, he runs into Taz.

A man on a disastrous date…

When Taz agreed to come to Earth on a date, he didn’t expect to be dumped and left with no way home. Then he falls into Reed’s arms—literally.

A coffee date soon becomes a trip back to Reed’s apartment. But when Taz’s stripes begin to show, Reed discovers Taz comes from a planet far, far away.

Reed never believed aliens existed, but he’s facing one now. What in the world is he going to do?


Buy Links


1 comment:

Please be respectful of others with your comments. Hate comments will not be tolerated.