Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Review by Stacia: Turkey in the Snow by Amy Lane [Audio Book]






Author:  Amy Lane
Narrator: Gomez Pugh
Publisher:  Dreamspinner  Press LLC
Running Time:  2hrs, 32min
A story from the Dreamspinner Press, 2012 Advent Calendar package Evergreen.
Rating: 5/5 Smooches





Blurb:
Since Hank Calder's four-year-old niece Josie came to live with him, his life has been plenty dramatic, thank you, and the last thing he needs is a swishy, flaming twinkie to complicate things.
But when Justin, the daycare worker at his gym, offers to do something incredibly nice for Hank - and for Josie - Hank is forced to reconsider. Justin may be flamboyant in his speech and gestures, but his heart and kindness are as rock steady and dependable as anyone, even Hank, could ask for.
Can Hank trust in his dramatic turkey in the snow to offer his heart the joy he and Josie have never known?


Review:

I listen to a lot of audio books. I have come across great narrators and not so great ones. I have bought books to listen to and when I put my head phones on to listen to what I know to be a terrific book only to be turned against it by the irritating voice that is entering my ears. So hopefully I can help you with that.

I had never heard of Gomez Pugh until I downloaded this book in audio. He was actually excellent. He did not read in monotone. Gomez used different voices for each character, from Hank’s semi-deep voice to the little girl voice of Josie. He may have gone a little overboard for the voice Justin. I don’t know, the jury is still out on that one. However, he hit them rather well. I would listen to him read again.

Now on to the story itself, well come on, it’s Amy Lane. This being sort of a holiday short story out of an anthology, it didn’t have Amy’s usual angst factor. Oh there was some in there but for the most part it was tame for her.
The characters were well formed and full of life. I want a Justin, he is just so sweet and cute. He wears his heart on his sleeve and is one of those people who would give you the shirt off of his back. He is also very tenacious in getting Hank to calm down around him and except the help that is offered. He’s the kind that just sneaks up on you and gets under your skin before you even know what he’s doing.

Hank is still trying to balance life with a four year old in tow. He’s always been the strong one, dependable and gets things done as they should be, he loves rules. I liked the character of Hank, he was a rigid character in the beginning but that goes a long with the story. As he starts to soften up around Justin, he gets more likeable.  Hank is also good with his four year old niece, very patient and loving.

Josie is just the sweetest little girl who loves Justin. Justin is one of her favorite people. Even though her mother is not in the picture, she is always talking about her and doing things for her for when she “comes back”.
I loved this story and I enjoyed the audio of it. I would highly recommend it.





Buy Links: 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful of others with your comments. Hate comments will not be tolerated.