Saturday, March 22, 2014

Review by Cam: Out of the Blackness by Carter Quinn




Title: Out of the Blackness
Author: Carter Quinn
Publisher: Carter Quinn Books
Rating: 5/5 Smooches 






Blurb: 

A childhood of abuse has left Avery so physically and emotionally scarred he believes he shouldn’t be alive. His only sanctuary has been his relationship with his older foster brother Sam. Avery finally lets Sam convince him to start therapy to help overcome his crippling anxiety, but even that can’t prepare him for the upheaval caused by meeting Noah Yates.

Noah is everything Avery fears. He’s large and physically powerful—and undeniably capable of destroying Avery’s hard-earned progress. Although Noah seems to have a tender streak when it comes to him, Avery is terrified of being victimized again. But no matter how many times he tries to push him away, Noah never goes far.

Noah wants to save Avery, but can he be the catalyst Avery needs to begin the journey out of the blackness?


Review: 

I read this book when it first released bay in July of 2013, and I absolutely loved it. I loved the broken-ness of Avery and the patience and perseverance of Noah. Noah never gave up or truly pushed Avery. 

I worked with abused children for a long time and I've seen the lasting effects that abuse can have on them. The absolute worthlessness that Avery feels is one of those effects, and changing that damaging way of thinking is incredibly difficult. 

I really liked that the characters in this book took their time. There was no "magical cure" or quick fix. I think maybe some of Noah's easy acceptance was a bit too good to be true, but I've been told there really are nice people like that. Noah took his time, and got to know Avery in as much of a non-threatening way as he could. I liked that he had a connection to Sam's girlfriend's family. I think I would have liked to have seen a little more of Noah's back story. 

I also loved the other supporting characters. Sam especially. He really stood by Avery when there was no one else, and he was willing to do everything in his power to ensure that Avery had the life he deserved to have. That is one amazing big brother. 

Throughout the book I really felt sad for Avery. So sad that he had been through so much and that he'd been stripped of his self-worth. 

All in all this was a great book, by an amazing author, and I very much look forward to seeing what Mr. Quinn will be putting out next. Not to mention that Carter is an amazingly nice guy, who I was happy to be able to speak with in Atlanta last October. I was also lucky enough to get to listen to him read an excerpt of the book, which reminded me that I needed to re-read it and review it.. finally. 



Buy Links:

Amazon

ARE

Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful of others with your comments. Hate comments will not be tolerated.